You may notice that there are a lot of people getting their roofs fixed during the fall. With this high demand comes higher prices for roofing services available. Because of the price surge, many households tend to wait much longer before they call on roof repair services. But did you know that there are many important reasons why it is best to have your roofing serviced in the fall? If not, then we got you. Let’s get into that right now!
Why Fall is the Best Time for Roofing
Fall has the right conditions
The weather during fall is in a sweet spot – ideal for all the roofing works. Whether it is repair, installation, or maintenance, you should consider doing it in this season. Fall weather is not too hot nor too cold for the professionals to do their job comfortably. Besides that, the materials commonly used on roofs work most effectively in this temperature range. It allows them to last much longer and become more stable. For example, asphalt shingles, the primary roofing material used on houses, tend to be more brittle during the cold winter season. On the other hand, adhesives set more firmly when kept dry for the right amount of time, which will not happen during the winter.
It is the perfect time to prepare for winter.
Another reason is to prepare your roof for the winter. Although the services may indeed come in cheaper around this time, you may end up spending more on your electricity bill for heating because there are cracks on your roof where the cold air seeps in. You can easily avoid this by preparing your roof beforehand. Before the winter comes, you should be able to accomplish these things to avoid hassle:
- Inspect and Clean your Roof – Check for cracks that water may seep in and can worsen over time. Clean your roof thoroughly so debris will not cling on easily.
- Do the Repairs – Fix everything that you can. But for major repairs, contact your roof professionals for optimal results.
- Clear the Gutter – You would not want ice to build up in your gutters during the winter because they are clogged.
- Install Insulation – Proper roof insulation is critical to maximizing the heating from your A/C during the winter. Your roof should not only look good from the outside but from the inside as well.
Pests are fewer in the fall.
Pests also come into the picture here. As the winter comes, pests search for a place to keep them safe and warm, and the underside of your roof is a paradise for them. You would not want these pests to be inside your house where they can leave fecal deposits and harmful bacteria all over. If there are cracks on your roof, you allow these creepy-crawlies to get inside. By keeping your roof in excellent condition, you can prevent a pest infestation from coming your way.
Fixing Your Roof in the Fall
Not all people take advantage of the great weather during fall to work on their roofs. Ideally, you would want to get done with all the roofing work you need for the rest of the year this season. It is so you can avoid having to deal with them in another less convenient time.
Doing Roof Repairs During Fall
Your roof may have accumulated damages over time that need to be checked and repaired. You may do a self-inspection if possible or call a roofing professional to do the work. If you’re going up there yourself, the first thing you have to do is check for exhaust signs. See if there are cracks and slips at the transition points of the tiles.
It would help if you also inspected the outside of your house from the ground. Try to see if there are discolorations in the walls, which are signs of water leaking. You may do this inside the house as well. As you conduct your inspection, be sure to write them down and take note of the specific places where the repairs are needed. After inspection, make the repairs as soon as possible. Even small damages can lead to bigger and more expensive problems in the future.
Roof Maintenance During Fall
Aside from the repairs, you have to keep your roof in good condition to make it last longer. It is where maintenance comes into play. Keep in mind that you may also do these at other times of the year, but fall is still the best time to do so. Some of the things you can do are the following:
- Clean the Gutters – Leaves, branches, and other debris accumulate in the gutters of your roof. It is inevitable. What you have to do is to clear them from time to time to avoid getting clogged drains, which can cause leaks when left unchecked. Clogged gutters have much more weight, which can bring them down eventually. Clearing them is especially important to do before the winter because the debris can stock up water that turns into ice. The ice expands and may cause heavy damages to the gutters.Read more: How to clean up your gutters during fall
- Trim Low-hanging Branches – They may not seem much, but these branches directly on top of your roof can cause problems. Aside from the debris they may bring, they direct water and snow onto your roof. They can scratch and peel off some shingles when the wind blows hard. They also serve as a pathway for small animals and insects to climb on your roof. It is best to trim those branches down.
- Inspect the Attic- Another vital step in protecting your roof this fall is often the most forgotten step – and that is the step of inspecting your attic. This allows you to detect any mold, mildew, or stained installation – which are signs of leaks in the roof.One other tip is to take advantage of a rainy day to see if there are any leaks in the attic.
What to Remember about your Roof
The roof is not only there to make your house look more beautiful, but also to protect everything else that is under it, including you and your family. While the roof typically lasts for several years before needing any repairs or replacement, it is best to keep it in great condition. When your roof has damages, there’s a lot that can be affected as well. Make sure that you don’t forget about taking good care of your roof so you can worry less.