Spring Roofing Maintenance TipsPosted on: May 21, 2014
Do you ever look up and wonder how your roof is doing? No? Most of us don’t really notice the roof or know what is happening with our roof because we never really climb on top of it. Unfortunately, not noticing your roof can cause more harm than you think. This is why it is important to have a roof maintenance strategy so that you don’t have to call a roof repair professional in San Jose.
We recommend you conduct a simple roof checkup every fall and spring. Doing so can help prepare your roof for the winter. We also recommend you hire a professional roof repair company in San Jose to help you further check your roof if you see anything out of the ordinary.
- Cleaning your gutters is step one and can be very risky. So it is important to remember some ladder safety tips. Make sure that the ladder you use is on solid, level ground. Always secure the ladder at the top to make sure it doesn’t slip. Extend the ladder at least 3 feet beyond the gutter and angle it one foot back from the house for every 4 feet of height.
- Remove the leaves and debris from your gutter. Roof repair experts in San Jose recommend cleaning your gutter from leaves and other debris once or twice a year. If your gutter is clogged, it can cause the gutter to overflow and cause serious damage to your foundation over time. Remove the leaves, etc. by scooping out the debris with a garden trowel or gloved hand. Do not remove the debris with a house because this may only cause downspouts to clog. After you have removed all the debris, flush the residual matter using a hose. Adjust gutters as necessary after cleaning.
- Look for buckling, curling or blistering shingles. This means that your shingles’ life expectancy has come to an end and it’s a good idea to change them. Contact a roof repair specialist in San Jose to find out whether you should replace the shingles, or just fix them.
- Keep an eye out for loose material or wear around chimneys, pipes, and other penetrations.
- If there are excessive amounts of shingle granules in your gutters this could greatly affect your roof as granules add weight and protect shingles from ultra violet rays.
- Check inside your home, around the walls and ceilings, for water damage.
- It is also important to check the area around pipes and chimneys as these can cause some serious damage to your home.
If you have further questions about how you can better prepare your roof for the winter contact Yorkshire Roofing, roof repair San Jose specialist. Although winter is still far away, it is never too early to start taking care of your roof. Spring is the best time to get on your roof and make the necessary improvements. If you see a potential roofing problem, don’t try to fix it yourself. Call a roof repair San Jose specialist to take care of the problem for you.